Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Power of Snow

This past weekend, Virginia Beach experienced what folks out west call a "powder day." Nine inches of snow fell on our area, an amount that forecasters said "we haven't seen in twenty years." (Pretty sad when you think about it.)

It didn't take long for me to see the power of a snowfall. Wii and Playstation controls were idle. Sleds and snow boots were dusted off and put to good use. Kids found their creative side; building snow ramps and finding completely new things to laugh at. Snow helps us remember (and discover) the simple pleasures of life.

I ran five miles in the snow.
I was pulled on a sled through the neighborhood (and through at least one slushy puddle) by a friend in pickup truck full of rosy cheeked, excited middle schoolers.
I went on five times as many walks in the neighborhood than usual.
I found comfort in under armor and turtle necks.
I helped my son gear up repeatedly and laughed when he put on his jacket, "sherpa" hat, neck gaiter and gloves BEFORE putting on socks and boots. Oh, the things that snow teaches you.
I fell once and enjoyed the view.
I watched our cat tip-toe through the the snow with an expression of "WTF" on his face.
I sat around a fire pit with friends and traded "snow stories" from years past.
I ate chili for dinner two nights in a row and enjoyed every bite.

The snow will melt over the next couple of days but the memories will last much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment