Wednesday, January 27, 2010

What's in a Name?

Last night when I was trying to figure out some of the technical features of this blog space, I realized that the name for my blog was, well, my name. ZZZZZZ. Not terribly inspired, but don’t let my parents know. Admittedly, I went down the dark and scary "path of puns" where I encountered possible blog titles like: The Last Ward, the Ward is Out, Wards on Paper, The Spoken Ward. The list went on and on and haunted me again this morning with the geekiest title of all:

Ward Download 2.0. Uh.... no.

I suspect many of my blog posts will deal with simple things I encounter or observations on places I will go. Chances are I won't comment on politics, business, or social issues. My friend Chris Bonney blogs and is also excellent photographer. His blog is called: "What I Saw." It's simple and to the point. Plus, it pulls double duty for his writing and for his photography. As a matter of fact, reading his blog through Facebook has inspired me to get back to writing.

My blog posts will serve as a creative outlet for me. If folks happen to find the posts entertaining and want to comment, all the better. But it still needs a name.

On the bulletin board in my office I have a number of quotes from authors. Some famous. Some not too famous. One is by a former writer for Outside Magazine named Mark Jenkins. Whether you are an aspiring writer, budding photographer, part time adventurer or desk bound number cruncher, heed his words to change the way you look at things.

“Lying on my bunk that night, musing on our progress so far, I realized another salient truth about adventure: It doesn’t matter where you go. It’s not what you see, but how you see. To the jaded eye, Paris is dull. Everest a sham, Africa stuffed with animals already seen on the Discovery Channel. But if you think of your mind as a microscope and take a close look, there is not a chunk of earth on this planet – maybe right around the corner – that isn’t original, even explicable.”

So there it is, the title of my blog: No, not “Salient Truth.” Sounds too like a David Baldacci or a John Grisham novel. I’m more of the Mayberry type. So, the blog title will be “Around the Corner.” Bear with me, here. “Around the Corner” for me can and will be places near and far. My promise to myself and to anyone who cares to read will be to look at things, and write about things differently. See you around

No comments:

Post a Comment